Module I (12 HOURS)
Concepts of Management and Organisation – Functions of Management – Evolution of Management Thought : Taylor’s Scientific Management, Fayol’s Principles of Management, Douglas Mc-Gregor’s Theory X and Theory Y, Mayo’s Hawthorne Experiments, Hertzberg’s Two Factor Theory of Motivation, Maslow’s Hierarchy of Human Needs – Systems Approach to Management.
Module II (13 HOURS)
Designing Organisational Structures : Basic concepts related to Organisation – Departmentation and Decentralisation, Types of mechanistic and organic structures of organisation (Line organization, Line and staff organization, functional organization, Committee organization, matrix organization, Virtual Organisation, Cellular Organisation, team structure, boundaryless organization, inverted pyramid structure, lean and flat organization structure) and their merits, demerits and suitability. Introduction to TQM-Quality Circles, ISO 9000 series procedures.
Module III (13 HOURS)
Plant location, definition, factors affecting the plant location, comparison of rural and urban sitesmethods for selection of plant- Matrix approach. Plant Layout definition, objectives, types of production, types of plant layout – various data analyzing forms-travel chart. Introduction to PERT / CPM : Project management, network modeling-probabilistic model, various types of activity times estimation-programme evaluation review techniques- Critical Path-probability of completing the project, deterministic model, critical path method (CP-critical path calculation-crashing of simple of networks.
Module IV (14 HOURS)
Work study – Definition, objectives, method study – definition, objectives, steps involved- various types of associated charts-difference between micromotion and memomotion studies. Work measurement- definition, time study, steps involved-equipment, different methods of performance rating- allowances, standard time calculation. Work Sampling – definition, steps involved, standard time calculations, differences with time study. Introduction to Human Resource Management, Functions of HRM, Job Evaluation, different types of evaluation methods. Job description, Merit Rating.- difference with job evaluation, different methods of merit ratings, wage incentives, different types of wage incentive schemes. Marketing, marketing vs selling, marketing mix, product life cycle.
1. Amrine, Manufacturing Organization and Management, Pearson, 2nd Edition, 2004.
2. Industrial Engineering and Management O.P. Khanna Dhanpat Rai.
1. Stoner, Freeman, Gilbert, Management, 6th Ed, Pearson Education, New Delhi, 2005.
2. Panner Selvam, Production and Operations Management, PHI, 2004.
3. Ralph M Barnes, Motion and Time Studies, John Wiley and Sons, 2004.
4. Chase, Jacobs, Aquilano, Operations Management, TMH 10th Edition, 2003.
5. L.S.Srinath, PERT / CPM, affiliate East-West Press, New Delhi, 2000.
6. Gary Dessler, Human Resource Management, Pearson Education Asia, 2002.
7. Phillip Kotler, Marketing Management, Pearson, 2004.